Cheny, John, active 1729-1750, An historical list, of all horse-matches run, and of all plates and prizes run for in England ... , MDCCXXVII [1727-1751]
- An historical list, of all horse-matches run, and of all plates and prizes run for in England ... : with a list also of all the principal cock-matches ... / by John Cheny.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Historical list, or account of all the horse-matches run, and of all the plates and prizes run for in England ...
- London : Printed in the year, MDCCXXVII [1727-1751]
- Physical Description:
-  volumes ; 16-17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF335.G7 H5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- First volume (1727) has title: An historical list, or account of all the horse-matches run, and of all the plates and prizes run for in England ... .
John Cheny's name first appears on t.p. beginning with second volume (for 1728).
Continued by: An historical list of horse-matches run ... by Reginald Heber.
Contains lists of subscribers.
Some volumes contain errata lists.
Head- and woodcut tail-pieces.
Loder, E.P. Bibliography of the history and organisation of horse racing, 1225
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, A1
British Union-Catalogue of periodicals, 2, p. 402
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf. 1732 volume includes repeated autograph of Thomas Firbanck (or Firbank, Furbank) and William Firbanck.
- Subject Terms:
- Cockfighting -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.Firbanck, Thomas -- Autograph.Firbanck, William -- Autograph.Horse racing -- Great Britain -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.Horse racing -- Ireland -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
- Subscription lists (Publishing) -- Great Britain -- 18th century.
Errata lists (Publishing) -- Great Britain -- 18th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.