Twenty five actions of the manage horse / engrav'd by Josephus Sympson, from original drawings of Mr. John Vanderbanck ; to which are added, two of the English hunter ; with the figure of a fine horse measured from the life, shewing all the proportions ; as also a draught of the true shape of the branch ; with short remarks on some parts of horsemanship.
- London : Printed for and sold by J. Sympson at the Dove in Russel-Court in Drury-Lane, and Andrew Johnston, engraver in Peter's-Court in St. Martin's-Lane, 1729.
- Physical Description:
- , 8 p., 29,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF303 .V36 1729+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Signatures: [a]² A⁴.
The original drawings for plates 3, 10, 14, 15, and 25 are in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings, B2001.2.1314-1318).
ESTC (RLIN), T103100
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 44
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 196
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary mottled calf. Armorial bookplate: Rt. Honble. John Ld. Brownlowe. Armorial bookplate: Belton House.
- Subject Terms:
- Belton House -- Bookplate.Brownlowe, John -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1729.Horsemanship -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship -- Equipment and supplies -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Horses in art -- Early works to 1800.Johnson, Andrew -- Publisher.Sympson, J. -- Publisher.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Vanderbank, John, 1694-1739, Twenty five actions of the manage horse , 1729
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.