Wathen, James, Journal of a voyage, in 1811 and 1812, to Madras and China , 1814
- Journal of a voyage, in 1811 and 1812, to Madras and China : returning by the Cape of Good Hope and St. Helena : in the H.C.S. the Hope, Capt. James Pendergrass / by James Wathen ; illustrated with twenty-four coloured prints, from drawings by the author.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Wathen's Voyage to Madras, China, &c
Voyage to Madras, China, &c
- London : Printed for J. Nichols, Son, and Bentley [etc.] 1814.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 246 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS412 .W38 1814+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS412 .W38 1814+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label: Wathen's Voyage to Madras, China, &c. Price £3, 3s. boards.
Colored aquatints by J. Clark; after James Wathen.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 517
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled polished calf; bound by Zaehnsdorf. Plates are hand-colored. Copy 2 bound in original quarter green cloth and brown paper boards, with publisher's printed spine label. Plates are uncolored. Bookplate: Egremont.
- New Custom House -- Fort St. George -- Great Pagoda -- 1st view from the Great Pagoda -- 2nd view looking N. from the Pagoda -- Fort and scenery near Chingleput -- Bramin's tomb -- George Town -- Dr. Mackinnon's residence -- View, looking over George Town, to the Queeda coast -- Mr. Amee's house and mill -- Mallacca, with the Hope at anchor in the roads -- Ancient gateway, leading to the water, at Malacca -- Franciscan monastery at Macoa -- Church of St. Lazarus near Macoa -- Camoen's Cave -- Macoa, with the Church of St Antonio, from Camoen's Garden -- Anson's Bay -- View looking up the Tigris -- China Street -- Banqueting room at a Mandarin's house --View of the Bocca Tigris -- Coll. Doveton's house -- James Town, St. Helena.
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Description and travel.East Indies -- Description and travel.J. Nichols, Son -- Publisher.Madras (India) -- Description and travel.Voyages and travels.Zaehnsdorg -- Bookbinder.
- Travel literature.
Aquatints -- 1814.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1814.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.