Photographs of Tweeddale scenery : with interesting letterpress descriptions : a series of large photographs of the most interesting places on the Tweed between Rachan House and Kelso / by J. M'Ghie, photographer, Hamilton.
- Edinburgh : William Ritchie, 16 Elder Street, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : photographs ; 27 x 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 16Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- J. M'Ghie may refer to Jean M'Ghie (née Warneuke, 1820-1911) or her husband John M'Ghie. Jean and John were active in Hamilton and Edinburgh, ca. 1854-1872.
Includes 26 albumen prints: 20 mounted one-per-page (each approximately 17 x 22 cm), 6 mounted two-per-page (each approximately 11 x 17 cm). With descriptive letterpress on the facing page. Also with a small photographic vignette on the title page.
Undated. Gernsheim suggests 1864 as date of publication. The photograph of "The Glen" depicts it before a second tower was added in 1875.
Gernsheim, H. Incunabula of British photographic literature, no. 217
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original green cloth, stamped in gold. With the bookplate of Robert J. Hayhurst.
- Subject Terms:
- Hayhurst, Robert J. -- Bookplate.Ritchie, William -- Publisher.Scotland -- Photographs.Tweeddale (Scotland : District) -- Photographs.
- Albumen prints.
- Rachan House
- Drummelzier Castle
- Stobo Castle
- Garvald House
- Nether Urd
- Castle Craig
- La Mancha
- Macbie Hill
- Nidpath Castle
- King's Meadows
- The Black Dwarf's Cottage
- Traquair House
- The Glen
- Floors Castle.