Hogg Brothers (Shanghai, China), Sample book of patterned silk fabrics sold by Hogg Brothers, Shanghai, between 1860 and 1899
Sample book of patterned silk fabrics sold by Hogg Brothers, Shanghai.
- Shanghai, China, between 1860 and 1899.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (12 samples) ; 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD9926.C62 H6 1860+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The firm Hogg Brothers was active in the manufacture and trade of silk from 1860 until 1899, at Shanghai. The brothers included Alfred G. Hogg, James Hogg, and Edward Jenner Hogg. Edward Jenner Hogg is described as "the doyen of foreign residents in Shanghai ... [haven] taken, indirectly, a larger share than any other man in the work of developing the Settlement ... Born in Cheshire in 1838, Mr. Jenner Hogg was educated privately, and came to Shanghai as early as 1857 to join the old firm of Lindsay & Co., which had been established many years previously by former servants of the East India Company. He remained with the firm, in which his brother was a partner, until 1860, when he and his brother commenced trading together on their own account ..." (see: Wright, Arnold. Twentieth century impressions of Hongkong, Shanghai, and other treaty ports of China, 1908, pages 515-518). Edward Jenner and his brother James also served as Italian consuls in Shanghai.
The samples include nine swatches in shades of blue and three swatches in shades of purple. Samples are mounted on accordion-folded pages, two samples per page (each sample 14 x 17 cm). Each sample is framed by strips of embossed gold paper. Each is numbered, and a second value is recorded for "Ps."
Bound in card covered in light blue-green paper, with patterned paper borders. The front cover bears a paper label, embossed in blue and gold, titled in ink: "I. case, Hogg Brothers, Shanghai, 14 HD [?]."
- Subject Terms:
- British -- China -- Shanghai.Hogg Brothers (Shanghai, China)Silk industry -- China.Textile fabrics -- Specimens.
- Sample books.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.