Ideas, accidental and incidental to hunting and other sports : caught in Leicestershire, &c. / by Henry Alken.
- London : Published by Thomas M'Lean, 26, Haymarket, 
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF301 .A454 1830+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Etchings after Heny Alken.
"This book was published in 1830. The humorous text is etched on the plates, which were originally issued serially in seven wrappered parts from 1827 through 1830"--Cf. Podeschi.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 136
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 37-38
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 36
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in dark red striated half roan and green cloth, with gilt-tooled roan title label. Inscribed on front cover: Sidney Herbert. On front pastedown endpaper is white paper label with black ink which reads "Ideas by H. Alken 42 Plates". Armorial bookplate: R.N.H. Moore Stevens.
Plates depicting humorous equestrian and fox-hunting incidents.
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Fox hunting -- Great Britain -- Wit and humor.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Herbert, Sidney -- Autograph.Horse sports -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.M'Lean, Thomas -- Publisher.Stevens, R. N. H. Moore -- Bookplate.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
YCBA Collections Search
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Ideas, accidental and incidental to hunting and other sports , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.