Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, The national sports of Great Britain , 1821
The national sports of Great Britain / by Henry Alken ; with descriptions in English and French.
- London : Published by Thomas McLean, 26, Haymarket. Printed by W. Lewis, Finch-lane, Cornhill, 1821.
- Physical Description:
- , 2, 2,  p.,  leaves of plates. col. ill.; 50 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 71Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With an added engraved title page: British sports, by Henry Alken. London, Published by Thomas McLean, Hay market, 1820.
With an added title page in French (on verso of the English title page): Chasse et amusements nationaux de la Grande Bretagne ...
Table of contents, preface, and the descriptions of plates in both English and French.
Four of Alken's original drawings reproduced here are now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings, B2001.2.385-386, B2001.2.475-476).
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 111
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 32-33
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illlustrated by Henry Alken, 49
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 41
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind- and gilt-tooled red morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Aquatints, Colored -- Specimens -- 1821.Fox hunting -- Great Britain.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Hunting -- Great Britain.Lewis, W. -- Printer.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Sports -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.