Kort liden Udtog over Soldatens Forhold og Fremgang efter sin Indtrædelse i Soldaterstanden : Ledetraad for Infanteristen ... / Udsat af Underkorporal, Peder Larsen Tolstrup, ved 3die Forstærknings Bataillon, 2det compagni, den 20 Juli 1851.
- Holstein, Denmark, 1851-1852.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (, 90,  pages) : illustrations ; 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDL218 .L37 1851Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The 1845 census, in the parish of Tolstrup, Denmark, records Peder Larsen, single, aged 22, "Tjenestefolk" (farm hand or domestic).
Bound in contemporary light blue boards with red linen back and corners; with drawings on both covers.
Illustrated notebook of Peder Larsen, of Toldstrup, Denmark, compiled 1851-1852, towards the end of the first Schleswig-Holstein War. The notebook was conceived as a soldier's guide and an illustrated record of his training in drill and tactics. Larsen's ink and watercolor drawings depict the topography of various camps and fortifications, including Dannevirke and Rendsburg, military formations, as well as the uniforms of the various ranks and regiments, a battle scene and incidental glances at camp life (including target practice and a tavern). He provides a number of hand-drawn maps, with several projections of the world (and celestial bodies), as well as Europe, the Near East, Egypt, and Palestine. Larsen also provides illustrations of his his family, a decorated alphabet, a train on the recently opened Copenhagen-Roskilde railway, and the manor house at Lilliendal, in Vordingborg. Larsen's notes include information on soldiers' duties and military weaponry, as well as text and music for popular dances, a calendar, and a table listing the numbers of wounded, dead and missing soldiers in the Danish victory at the Battle of Isted, (Schleswig, 1850).
- Subject Terms:
- Denmark -- History -- 1849-1866.Denmark -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Fortification -- Denmark.Larsen, Peder, 1823-Military art and science -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Denmark.Schleswig-Holstein War, 1848-1850.Soldiers -- Denmark.Tactics -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
YCBA Collections Search
Larsen, Peder, 1823-, Kort liden Udtog over Soldatens Forhold og Fremgang efter sin Indtrædelse i Soldaterstanden , 1851-1852
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.