Gentleman of Philadelphia County, The American shooter's manual , 1827
- The American shooter's manual : comprising, such plain and simple rules, as are necessary to introduce the inexperienced into a full knowledge of all that relates to the dog, and the correct use of the gun : also a description of the game of this country / by a gentleman of the Philadelphia county.
- Philadelphia : Carey, Lea, & Carey, 1827.
- Physical Description:
- , x-xii, , 14-249,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK313 .K47 1827Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2002 565: Bookplate: Joseph W. Alsop. Autograph: J.W. Alsop. Ms. notes and original sketch at back of vol. 1.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown quarter cloth, and tan board covers. In brown quarter morocco, and brown cloth slip-case.
Attributed to Jesse Y. Kester.
Copyright May 10, 1827 by Carey, Lea & Carey.
"Printed at no. 24, Arch-Street.--A. Walker, agt."--verso of title page.
Engraved plates signed: F. Kearny, sc.
With a half-title.
Error in paging: p. 202-204 misnumbered p. 102-104.
Last page blank.
Shoemaker, R.H. Checklist of American imprints for 1820-1829, 27838
"Technical terms."--p. -249.
Advertisements for hunting equipment, pages -. Includes an engraved illustration.
- Subject Terms:
- Alsop, J. W. (Joseph Wright), 1804-ca. 1878 -- Autograph.Alsop, J. W. (Joseph Wright), 1804-ca. 1878 -- Bookplate.Dogs -- Training.Game and game-birds -- United States.Hunting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Hunting dogs.Hunting rifles.Rifle practice.Shooting.
- Engravings -- 1827.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.