IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Gentleman of Philadelphia County, The American shooter's manual , 1827
The American shooter's manual : comprising, such plain and simple rules, as are necessary to introduce the inexperienced into a full knowledge of all that relates to the dog, and the correct use of the gun : also a description of the game of this country / by a gentleman of the Philadelphia county.
- Philadelphia : Carey, Lea, & Carey, 1827.
- Physical Description:
- , x-xii, , 14-249,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK313 .K47 1827Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BEIN 2002 565: Bookplate: Joseph W. Alsop. Autograph: J.W. Alsop. Ms. notes and original sketch at back of vol. 1.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown quarter cloth, and tan board covers. In brown quarter morocco, and brown cloth slip-case.
Attributed to Jesse Y. Kester.
Copyright May 10, 1827 by Carey, Lea & Carey.
"Printed at no. 24, Arch-Street.--A. Walker, agt."--verso of title page.
Engraved plates signed: F. Kearny, sc.
With a half-title.
Error in paging: p. 202-204 misnumbered p. 102-104.
Last page blank.
Shoemaker, R.H. Checklist of American imprints for 1820-1829, 27838
"Technical terms."--p. -249.
Advertisements for hunting equipment, pages -. Includes an engraved illustration.
- Subject Terms:
- Alsop, J. W. (Joseph Wright), 1804-ca. 1878 -- Autograph.Alsop, J. W. (Joseph Wright), 1804-ca. 1878 -- Bookplate.Dogs -- Training.Game and game-birds -- United States.Hunting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Hunting dogs.Hunting rifles.Rifle practice.Shooting.
- Engravings -- 1827.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.