Travels into the interior of Southern Africa : in which are described the character and condition of the Dutch colonists of the Cape of Good Hope, and of the several tribes of natives beyond its limits : the natural history of such subjects as occurred in the animal, mineral and vegetable kingdoms : and the geography of the southern extremity of Africa : comprehending also a topographical and statistical sketch of the Cape Colony : with an inquiry into its importance as a naval and military station, as a commercial emporium : and as a territorial possession / by John Barrow, Esq. F.R.S ; author of "Travels in China", "Africa semper aliquid novi offert" ; in two volumes. Vol. I[-II]
- Additional Title(s):
Travels in Africa
- The Second edition / with additions and alterations, illustrated with several engravings and charts.
- London : Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies, in the Strand, 1806.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT1023 .B37 1806+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 322
BEIN Efg +797Bc: Imperfect: v. 1, fold. map wanting; v. 2, Half-title, contents, list of plates wanting.
First edition published in 1801-04 under the title: Account of travels into the interior of southern Africa, in the years 1797 and 1798.
Spine title: Travels in Africa.
Illustrations by Thomas Medland; after Samuel Daniell. Map engraved by Samuel John Neele.
"Plate no. 6 and 8 'The Gnoo' and 'The African Rhoniceros' are from the same drawings as were engraved in 1804 and 1805 respectively for Daniell's 'African Scenery and Animals', no. 3 and 30"--Cf. Abbey
Printed by Strahan and Preston, New-Street Square.
Includes index in v. 2.
Preliminary half t.p. in v. 2: Travels into the interior of Southern Africa
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 85
BAC: This copy is the Abbey copy.
BAC: Both volumes inscribed: Edward M. Pearce, 196
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, Southern -- Description and travel.Cadell, T. -- Publisher. (BAC,RB)Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Davis, W. -- Publisher. (BAC,RB)Pearce, Edward M. -- Autograph. (BAC,RB)Strahan and Preston -- Printer. (BAC,RB)
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1806. (BAC,RB)
YCBA Collections Search
Barrow, John, Sir, 1764-1848, Travels into the interior of Southern Africa , 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.