The gentleman's recreation : in four parts, viz. hunting, hawking, fowling, fishing : wherein these generous exercises are largely treated of, and the terms of art for hunting and hawking more amply enlarged than heretofore : whereto is prefixt a large sculpture, giving easie directions for blowing the horn, and other sculptures inserted proper to each recreation : with an abstract at the end of each subject of such laws as relate to the same.
- Collected at first from antient and modern authors, and now in this second edition corrected and very much enlarged by several eminent and skillful persons, lovers of the sports.
- London : Printed by J.C. for N.C. and are to be sold by Tho. Fabian at the Bible in Paul's Church-yard, the Corner-Shop nest Cheap-side, 1677.
- Physical Description:
- , 158, , 159-254, , 78, 89-95, , 78,  pages,  folded leaves of plates : illustrations ; 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK25 .C69 1677Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Dedication signed: Nicholas Cox.
Frontispiece engraved by William Sherwin. Plate preceeding the text on hawking is signed: W. Dolle sc.
Each part has special title page.
ESTC identifies the publisher and printer as James Cottrell and Nicholas Cox.
Signatures: [*]¹ A⁴ B-L⁸ M⁶ ²M⁸ N-R⁸ S² ²A-² E⁸ ²F⁴ ²G-² L⁸.
English short title catalogue, R30278
Wing (2nd ed., 1994) C6703
BEIN Uzn25 677c Copy 1: Imperfect: special t.p. of part 1 (signature B1) and the preceding plate (headed "The antient hunting noats") wanting; the corresponding plate from a later edition has been inserted instead (headed "The antient hunting notes").
BEIN Uzn25 677c Copy 2: With the special t.p. of part 1, and the genuine preceding plate. Imperfect: plate preceding t.p. of part 1 badly mutilated, only the upper third being present; plate preceding part 2 (following p. 158) wanting.
BEIN Uzn25 677c: Ownership inscription and ms. note of Job Lousley. Imperfect: all plates wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy incomplete: two folding plates only. Extra-illustrated with engraved figures of animals cut out and glued to text leaves. Bound in later dark brown calf, repaired; gold lettering on spine. Signed in manuscript by Anthony Crittondon and John Crittondon.
- Subject Terms:
- Crittondon, Anthony -- Autograph. (BAC)Crittondon, John -- Autograph. (BAC)Falconry -- Early works to 1800Fishing -- Early works to 1800.Forestry law and legislation.Fowling -- Early works to 1800.Game-laws.Hunting -- Early works to 1800.Lousley, Job -- Autograph.Lousley, Job -- Ms. note.
- Engravings -- 1677.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Cox, Nicholas, active 1673-1721, The gentleman's recreation , 1677
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.