D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845, Indian sports , -
- Indian sports / by Sir Charles D'Oyly, bart.
- [Patna] : Behar amateur lithographic press, -
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 30 x 40 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 29 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 29 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Dates of publication from plates.
"Another album of lithographs ... of unknown provenance, with 247 prints is also in the India Office Library. This contains drawings dated between April 1827 and May 1830 ... This volume has large numbers of prints from other sets ... A putative third volume of Indian sports, commenced but never published, may be deduced from the eight plates with similar titles to the published volumes ... with dates of mostly September and October 1829, and September 1830."--Losty.
Each volume consists of a title leaf and 12 plates.
Schwerdt cites the second volume of this work and dates it 1829. Contains further twelve prints.
Lithographed throughout, including title leaves.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 447
Losty, J.P. "Sir Charles D'Oyly's lithographic press and his Indian assistants." In India: a pageant of prints, p. 142-145
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, volume 1, page 148
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Imperfect: volume 1 only. Bound in publisher's original blue papers wrapper. Original paper label on front cover. Contains ms annotations by a former owner. Illustrations are mounted lithographs.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's original blue paper wrappers (2 parts); with printed paper label on front cover. Inscribed: Mrs. Cooke. No. 5.
BEIN JJn55 7s: Engraved mounted t.p.'s.
- Tiger hunting -- Tiger hunting (30 June 1828) -- Tiger hunting (23d Aug. 1828) -- Leopard hunting -- Wild buffaloe hunting -- Bear shooting -- Hare shooting -- Partridge shooting -- Hog hunting. Plate 1st (22d Augt 1828) -- Hog hunting -- Hog hunting (22d June 1828) -- Bear hunting Plate 2d. (4th Augt. 1828) -- Rhinoceros hunting -- Tiger hunting -- Tiger shooting -- Leopard hunting -- Hog hunting -- Hog hunting (#2) -- Bear hunting -- Deer hunting -- Deer shooting -- Jungle fowl shooting -- Quail shooting -- Duck shooting.
- Subject Terms:
- Cooke, Mrs. -- Autograph.Hunting -- India -- Pictorial works.India -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Sports -- India.
- Lithographs -- 1828-1829.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.