Gardyner, George, A description of the New World. Or, America islands and continent , 1651
- A description of the New World. Or, America islands and continent : and by what people those regions are now inhabited. And what places are there desolate and without inhabitants. And the bays, rivers, capes, forts, cities and their latitudes, the seas on their coasts: the trade, winds, the North-west passage, and the commerce of the English nation, as they were all in the year 1649 / faithfully described for information of such of his countrey as desire intelligence of these perticulars. By George Gardyner of Peckham, in the county of Surrey Esq.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Description of the New World
America islands and continent
- London : Printed for Robert Leybourn, and are to be sold by Thomas Pirrepoint, at the Sun in S. Pauls churchyard, 1651.
- Physical Description:
- , 187,  p. ; 15 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE143 .G37 1651Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Letterpress t.p. within ruled border.
Woodcut printer's device with motto "Noli altum sapere" on leaf A2r.
"November 18. 1650. Imprimatur Nathanael Brent" on leaf N7r.
Errata on leaf A4v.
Signatures: A-N⁸ (-N8)
Woodcut head- and tail-pieces and initials.
BAC: BAC copy in gilt tooled red morocco binding by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), G252aA
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.America -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Commerce -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America -- Early works to 1800.Indians of South America -- Early works to 1800.Maryland -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Sangorski & Sutcliffe -- Bookbinder (BAC RB)Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1651 (BAC RB)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.