The Gentleman's jocky and approved farrier : instructing, in the natures, causes, and cures of all diseases incident to horses. With an exact and easie method of breeding, buying, dieting and otherwise ordering all sorts of horses, as well for common and ordinary use; as the heats and course. With divers other curiosities / collected by the long practice, experience and pains of J.H. Esquire; T.D. N.S. R.B. J.W. and others.
- London : Printed for Hen. Twyford in Vine-Court Middle-Temple, and Nath. Brook at the Angel near the Royal Exchange in Corn-hill, 1671.
- Physical Description:
- , 300,  p.,  folded leaf of plates : ill. ; 17 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285.3 .H35 1671Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Uzfy11 671G: Twyford's and Brook's advertisements: p. [301-304].
J.H. = John Halfpenny.
Identified both as Wing H67 (reel 1011) and Wing H283 (reel 1794) on UMI microfilm set "Early English books, 1641-1700".
The plate is an engraving signed "W.D.F." showing the diseases affecting the different parts of the horse's body.
T.p. enclosed in a plain rule-border.
Woodcut diagrams within text throughout.
Woodcut head-pieces and initials.
Wing (2nd ed.), H283
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 30
Publisher's advertisements,  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind tooled sprinkled calf binding; initials WP and date 1671 blind-stamped on upper and lower boards; edges sprinkled red and brown. Inscribed "2s 6d Salop March 18th 1671 Wm: Pristherish" in red ink at head of leaf A2r; "Robert Wynne 2s - 6d" on recto of first free end-paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Horses -- Diseases -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Early works to 1800.Pristherish, Wm. -- Autograph, 18 April, 1671.Veterinary medicine -- Early works to 1800.Wynne, Robert -- Autograph.
- Engravings -- 1671.
Woodcust -- 1671.
YCBA Collections Search
Halfpenny, John, active 1671, The Gentleman's jocky and approved farrier , 1671
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.