Bate, Jonathan, Shakespeare , 2012
- Shakespeare : staging the world / Jonathon Bate & Dora Thornton.
- London : British Museum Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 304 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps (chiefly color) ; 25 cm
- Reference LibraryPR3000 .B38 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This book is published to accompany the exhibition at the British Museum from 19 July to 25 November 2012"--Title page verso.
The playhouse and the role of playwright were relatively new phenomena during Shakespeares time, yet his audience spanned from royalty to the common man. This text shows what these audiences were finding out about the world through the eyes of the playwright Dora Thornton.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 270-285) and index.
其他题名:Staging the world.
- London, circa 1612: world city -- 'Now am I in Arden?': country, county and custom -- 'Cry "God for Harry, England and Saint George!"' Kingship and the English nation -- 'Beware the Ides of March': the legacy of Rome -- 'A fair city ... populated with many people': Venice viewed from London -- The noble Moor -- 'For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft': the Scottish play -- The matter of Britain: past, present and future -- 'O brave new world that has such people in't' -- Legacy.
- Subject Terms:
- Characters and characteristics.Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.)Knowledge and learning -- Influence -- Characters -- Dramatic production -- Settings.Learning and scholarship.Setting (Literature)Shakespeare, William -- Knowledge, 1564-1616.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Characters.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Cultural background.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Dramatic production.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Dramatic production.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Influence.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Knowledge and learning.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- kunskaper och studier.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- miljöskildringar.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Settings.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- teateruppsättningar.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.ShakespeareWilliam, 1564-1616.Theater.Weltbild.
- Ausstellung -- London -- 2012.