Pierce Egan's book of sports, and mirror of life : embracing the turf, the chase, the ring, and the stage / interspersed with original memoirs of sporting men, etc.
- London : Printed for T.T. and J. Tegg, 73 Cheapside, and R. Griffin and Co. Glasgow, 1832.
- Physical Description:
- iv, 414 pages : illustrations. ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV173 .E33 1832Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Issued in 26 parts.
The index at end is headed "Index to vol. I," but no more of the work was published.
BAC: British Art Center copy is extra-illustrated, presumably by R.N.H. Moore Stevens, whose bookplate appears in each of the two volumes. The extra-illustration includes additional letterpress title pages for each volume, each concluding: " ... extended to two volumes by the insertion of over 100 engravings, besides old sporting extracts, &c. &c." Bound in late 19th-century (?) red morocco by Jeremiah Larkins. Original wrappers (for part II) bound in at end of volume 2. The extra-illustrated material includes engravings by Henry Beckwith, George Cruikshank, Isaac Cruikshank, H.R. Cook, John H. Engleheart, Timothy Stansfield Engleheart, Edward Hacker. J.B. Hunt, Ebenezer, Landells, Thomas Abil Prior, W. Read, John Scott, Orrin Scott, J. Webb, and Richard Woodman; after Henry Thomas Alken, James Barenger, William Barraud, H.B. Chalon, E. Corbett, Abraham Cooper, Richard Barrett Davis, Andrew Duncan, John Greig, W. Henderson, J.F. Herring, Samuel Howitt, Charles Josi, George Lance, C.B. Spalding, and James Ward.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements.Boxing.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horse racing.Hunting.Recreation -- Great Britain.Sports.Stevens, R.N.H. Moore -- Bookplate.
- Wood engravings -- 1832.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Egan, Pierce, 1772-1849, Pierce Egan's book of sports, and mirror of life , 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.