Guillet de Saint-Georges, Georges, 1625-1705, The gentleman's dictionary , 1705
- The gentleman's dictionary : in three parts : viz. I. The art of riding the great horse: containing the terms and phrases us'd in the manage, and the diseases and accidents of horses : II. The military art; explaining the terms and phrases us'd in field or garison; the terms relating to artillery; the works and motions of attack and defence; and the post and duty of all the officers of the army: illustrated with historical instances, taken from the actions of our armies : III. The art of navigation; explaining the terms of naval affairs; as building, rigging, working, and fighting of ships; the post and duty of sea-officers, &c. : with historical examples taken from the actions of our fleet : each part done alphabetically, from the sixteenth edition of the original French, published by the Sieur Guillet, and dedicated to the Dauphin ; with large additions, alterations and improvements, adapted to the customs and actions of the English; and above forty curious cuts, that were not in the original.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Arts de l'homme d'épee
Arts de l'homme d'épée, ou, Le dictionnaire du gentilhomme. English. 1705.
- London : Printed for H. Bonwicke in St. Paul's Church-Yard; T. Goodwin, M. Wotton, B. Tooke, in Fleetstreet; and S. Manship in Cornhill, 1705.
- Physical Description:
-  pages,  folded leaves of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF309 .G85 1705Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- ESTC, T167076
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 37
The last  pages contain "Proposals for printing A compleat history of England ..."
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary sprinkled calf.
- Subject Terms:
- English language -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.Military art and science -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800..Naval art and science -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.
- Woodcuts -- 1705.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.