Elliott, Patrick, 1962-, True to life , 2017
- True to life : British realist painting in the 1920s & 1930s / Patrick Elliott and Sacha Llewellyn.
- Alternate Title(s):
- British realist painting in the 1920s and 1930s
- Edinburgh : National Galleries of Scotland, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 144 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryND468 .E45 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, July 1-October 29, 2017.
British realist art of the 1920s and 1930s is visually stunning - strong, seductive and demonstrating extraordinary technical skill. Despite this, it is often overshadowed by abstract art. This book presents the very first overview of British realist painting of the period, showcasing outstanding works from private and public collections across the UK. Of the forty artists featured in the show, many were major figures in the 1920s and 1930s but later passed out of fashion as abstraction and Pop Art became the dominant trends in the post-war years. In the last decade their work has re-emerged and interest in them has grown. Interwar realist art embraces a number of different styles, but is characterised by fine drawing, meticulous craftsmanship, a tendency towards classicism and an aversion to impressionism and visible brushwork. Artists such as Gerald Leslie Brockhurst, Meredith Frampton, James Cowie and Winifred Knights combine fastidious Old Master detail with 1920s modernity. Stanley Spencer spans various camps while Lucian Freud's early work can be seen as a realist coda which continued into the 1940s and beyond. Exhibition: Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, Scotland (01.07. - 29.10.2017).
Includes bibliographical references (pages 137-143).
- Foreword -- About British realist painting / Patrick Elliott -- 'What sort of truth?': British realist painting between the wars / Sacha Llewellyn -- Index of artists and list of abbreviations -- Catalogue / Patrick Elliott.
- Subject Terms:
- Figurenmalerei.Groebritannien.Malerei.Painting, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British.Realism in art -- Exhibitions.Realism in art.Realismus.
- Exhibition catalogs.