Portraits of the game and wild animals of Southern Africa : delineated from life in their native haunts, during a hunting expedition from the Cape Colony as far as the Tropic of Capricorn, in 1836 and 1837, with sketches of the field sports / by Captain W. Cornwallis Harris ... ; drawn on stone by Frank Howard.
- London : Published for the proprietor, by W. Pickering, Chancery Lane, and to be had of P. & D. Colnaghi, Pall Mall East; W. Wood, Tavistock Street, Covent Garden; and T. Cadell, Strand, 1840 [i.e. 1840-1842]
London : Green and Martin, printers, Bartlett's Buildings
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 175,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 61 cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2015 17Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN SSz14fg 137: Variant without printer's statement on added engraved t.p. P. - misbound between p. [iv] and [v]. Armorial bookplate: William Stevens Richardson. Bookplate: Sir Jonathan E. Backhouse, Bart. Bookseller's label: Thomas Thorne, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Binder's stamp: Bound by Hering 9 Newman Street.
BEIN 1974 Folio 14: Variant with printer's statement on added engraved t.p. Bookseller's label: William Potter, Liverpool.
Originally published in five parts, from 1840 to 1842.
The 31 leaves of plates include an added lithographed title page and 30 lithographic illustrations, referred to as plates I-XXX in the corresponding letterpress.
Subscription list: pages -.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 335
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 247
BAC Folio B 2015 17: The Abbey copy. In the original five parts, with printed wrappers. Plates are hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Backhouse, Jonathan E. (Jonathan Edmund), Sir, 1849-1918 -- Bookplate.Big game hunting -- Africa, Southern.Mammals -- Africa, Southern.Richardson, William Stevens -- Bookplate.Safaris -- Africa, Southern.Zoology -- Africa, Southern.
- Subscription lists (Publishing) -- England -- London -- 1840.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance) -- Thomas Thorne.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance) -- William Potter.
Binders' stamps (Binding) -- Hering.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Harris, William Cornwallis, Sir, 1807-1848, Portraits of the game and wild animals of Southern Africa , 1840 [i.e. 1840-1842]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.