Brooks, Alan, 1943-, Oxfordshire , 2017
- Oxfordshire : north and west / by Alan Brooks and Jennifer Sherwood.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 638 pages, 62 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, maps (some color) ; 19 cm.
- Reference LibraryNA969.O9 .B766 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes indexes.
This volume is a fully expanded and revised architectural guide to the greater part of Oxfordshire, based on Jennifer Sherwood's 1970s account, full of new information and with specially commissioned photography.The vernacular architecture of the villages and farms is well represented here, as well as notable town architecture and the medieval parish churches for which the area is well known. Oxfordshire is also a county of great houses, from the romantic medieval ruins of Minster Lovell to the late flowering of Lutyens's 1930s Middleton Park; the grandest, however, is Blenheim Palace, the Baroque masterpiece designed by John Vanbrugh (1664-1726).
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- Oxfordshire -- Guidebooks.Architecture.Buildings -- England -- Oxfordshire -- Guidebooks.Buildings.England -- Oxfordshire.