IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Harvey, George, approximately 1800-1878, Harvey's scenes of the primitive forest of America , 1841
Harvey's scenes of the primitive forest of America : at the four periods of the year, spring, summer, autumn & winter : engraved from his original paintings : accompanied with descriptive letter-press.
- Additional Title(s):
Scenes of the primitive forest of America
- London : Published by George Harvey, 16, Foley Place, Great Portland Street, & Messrs. Ackerman & Co., Strand. Printed by Johnson & Co., 10, Brooke Street, Holborn, 1841.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : color illustrations ; 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 37aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Letter-press descriptions edited by Washington Irving.
Aquatints engravedby William James Bennett.
Originally intended to be published with forty views. Only these first four were issued.
Three variant editions are known, published at roughly the same time:  An edition with New York imprint on title page and on front cover, without (?) the dedicatory leaf to Queen Victoria. See: Bibliography of American Literature, no. 10160.  An edition with New York imprint on title page and London imprint on front cover, with the dedicatory leaf to Queen Victoria, dated January, 1842.  The edition described here, with London imprint on title page and on front cover, with the dedicatory leaf. See: Abbey, J.R. Scenery, no. 652.
"London : Published by George Harvey, 16, Foley Place, Great Portland Street, and Messrs. Ackermann & Co., Strand, 1841. Johnson & Co., printers, 10, Brook Streete, Holborn."--Front cover.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 652
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in later half morocco. Original cream wrappers (printed in gold) bound in. With the armorial bookplate of the William Arthur, Sixth Duke of Portland.
- Subject Terms:
- Canada -- Pictorial works.Forests and forestry -- Pictorial works.Portland, William John Arthur Charles James Cavendish-Bentinck, Duke of, 1857-1943 -- Bookplate.United States -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
- Spring, no. 2: Burning fallen trees in a girdled clearing, western scene
- Summer, no. 3: A road accident, a glimpse thro' an opening of the primitive forest, Thornvile, Ohio
- Autumn, no. 4: Gigantic sycamores, an ox team crossing the ford, Owl Creek, Ohio
- Winter, no. 5: Impeded travellers in a pine forest, Upper Canada.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.