Trade card for the Leather Bottle Hotel, Cobham, Kent.
- Additional Title(s):
Leather Bottle Hotel
Dickens' old Pickwick, Leather Bottle Hotel
- England, 1860s?
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card ; 9.1 x 12.6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTX910.G7 L43 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for orginal copper plate used to print the trade card
- BAC: British Art Center copy is housed with the original copper plate used to print the present trade card. See link herewith.
Text, from top left to bottom right: "Hot punch, a specialité. An ordinary at half past one. Superior bedrooms & private apartments. Dickens' old Pickwick, Leather Bottle Hotel. Cobham, opposite the church & college, Kent. All among the cherries, apples & hops. Favorite resort of Charles Dickens. 4 miles from Gravesend & Strood, 1 mile from Sole St. Station, L.C. & D. Ry. Luncheons, dinners & teas served in the Pickwick Room. Billiards & pool, table by Burroughes & Watts. 'Clean & commodious' vide Pickwick. Telegrams- 'Pickwick, Cobham, Kent.'"
The engraved trade card includes a small portrait of Dickens and a larger illustration of Samuel Pickwick addressing the Pickwick Club -- the latter copied faithfully from Robert Seymour's illustration in the Pickwick papers (1836). The Leather Bottle inn is described in chapter 11 of the novel, and Dickens was a frequent visitor there in the 1860s.
- Subject Terms:
- Burroughes & Watts.Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Homes and hauntsDickens, Charles, 1812-1870. Pickwick papers.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hotels -- Great Britain.Leather Bottle (Cobham, England)Taverns (Inns) -- Great Britain.Tourism -- Great Britain.
- Trade cards (advertising)
Engravings -- 1860-1870.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.