Josephus, Flavius, The works of Josephus , MDCLXXVI 
- The works of Josephus : with great diligence revised and amended, according to the excellent French translation of Monsieur Arnauld D'andilly ; also the embassy of Philo Judæus to the emperor Caius Caligula, never translated before, with the references of the Scripture, a new map of the Holy Land, and divers copper-plates serving to illustrate the history.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Works. English. 1676
- London : Printed by Abel Roper at the Sun against St. Dunstan's Church in Fleet-Street, MDCLXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- , 543 [i.e. 545], , 557-854 [i.e. 846],  p. : ill., 1 folded map. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS116 .J6714 1676+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "Based on a translation from the Latin and French by Thomas Lodge; revised and amended according to Arnauld d'Andilly's French translation."--NUC pre-1956.
"The lamentable & tragical history of the wars and utter ruine of the Jews ... Formerly translated ... by Tho. Lodge ... and now revised ..." has special title page, dated 1675.
Errors in paging: 515-516, 567-568, 711-712, 813-814, 847-848 repeated; 643-656, 715-716 omitted in numbering.
Title page printed in black and red.
Arber's Term. cat., I 241
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks folded map. Bound in contemporary (?) calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Jews -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Jews -- History -- Early works to 1800.Josephus, Flavius.Roper, Abel -- Printer.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1676.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.