Holbeeke, Helen, Copy of Geology familiarly illustrated by Catherine Mary Webber, circa [1860?]
Copy of Geology familiarly illustrated by Catherine Mary Webber.
- Sutton Coldfield, Engand, circa [1860?]
- Physical Description:
- 31 drawings on 4 joined sheets : watercolor and pen and black ink ; 14 x 325 cm, accordion folded to 14 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQE31 .W43 1859aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the published version of Geology familiarly illustrated
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Watercolor copy of Catherine Mary Webber's Geology familiarly illustrated (published in 1859 by J.B. Goodinge). The copy faithfully reproduces the form and content of the published original: a semi-continuous series of images depicting geological strata, named, together with humorous visual puns on the geological names. "Oolite formation," for example, depicts a stratum of oolite, underneath a depiction of a woman whose dress has caught fire; "trap" depicts a geological trap, beneath the image of an unlucky hunter with foot ensnared in a leghold trap; "extensive denudation" depicts a stratum of Kentish rag, beneath the image of a man at the barber with denuded head.
The copy makes no reference to the author of the original, Catherine Mary Webber. The verso of the strip is signed in graphite: "Helen Holbeeke, Sutton Coldfield." Beneath this signature is a note in black ink: "I think that my aunt Helen Holbeeke must have drawn these about 1840. I recopied them in 1864/5 very indifferently [?]. Richard Holbeeke, 14.5.99."
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoon -- Great Britain.Geology -- Popular works.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Humor.Wit and humor, Pictorial.
Copies (derivative objects)
Panoramas -- England.
Puns (Visual works)
Accordion fold format (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.