Duppa, Richard, 1770-1831, A selection of twelve heads from the Last judgment of Michael Angelo, MDCCCI 
A selection of twelve heads from the Last judgment of Michael Angelo.
- Additional Title(s):
Heads from Micheal Angelo
- London : Published ... by R. Duppa, Jermyn Street, St. James's, and G.G. & J. Robinson, Pater-noster Row, MDCCCI 
- Physical Description:
- , ii, 9,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 66 x 50 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2017 5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With an engraved title page and a frontispiece portrait of Michaelangelo, the latter engraved by Bartolozzi after H. Howard, from the original bust by Bartolomeo Ammannati.
All 12 heads are signed "Michel-Angelo pinxit. R. Duppa direxit et delineavit Roma 1797." Three are captioned: [head 1] Charon ... ;  Monsignore Biagio Martinelli ... ;  Ascending from the grave.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary red quarter roan and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate of Jonathan Pytts.
Includes 12 life-size heads directly copied by Richard Duppa from Michelangelo's fresco of the Last judgment on the altar wall of the Sistine Chapel. The heads are preceded by a plate reproducing the entirety of the Last judgment, etched by Francesco Bartolozzi. The letterpress text describes the individual heads and their context within Michelangelo's fresco.
- Subject Terms:
- Cappella Sistina (Vatican Palace, Vatican City)Head in art.Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1475-1564. Last Judgment.Pytts, Jonathan -- Bookplate.
- Etchings -- 1801.
Stipple engravings -- 1801.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.