The cabinet : containing portraits of Sir R. Peel, The Duke, Lord Lyndhurst, Lord Stanley, Sir H. Hardinge, Earl Aberdeen, Sir J. Graham / drawn on stone by Charles J. Basebé.
- [Great Britain] : [publisher not identified], [1841?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : hand-colored lithograph ; 26 x 14 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA550.B37 C3 1841 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Description based on the copy at the Yale Center for British Art. The YCBA copy is hand-colored and trimmed to the outline of the cabinet. Presumably all copies were issued in this manner.
The print depicts an ornate wooden cabinet, the doors of which open to reveal collected portraits of seven members of the second cabinet of Sir John Peel: (in the bottom row, from left to right) John Copley, 1st Baron Lyndhurst, Lord Chancellor; Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister; Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, Leader of the House of Lords; (in the top row) Sir James Graham, Home Secretary; George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Foreign Secretary; Sir Henry Hardinge, Secretary at War; and Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby, Secretary of State for War and the Colonies.
The print was probably produced in 1841, near the beginning of the second Peel ministry (September 1841 - July 1846). At the top of the cabinet (furniture) are busts of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria, and a young child, presumably Victoria, princess royal (born 1840). Victoria and Albert's second child, Albert Edward, was born on November 9, 1841.
- Subject Terms:
- Aberdeen, George Hamilton Gordon, Earl of, 1784-1860.Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861.Derby, Edward George Geoffrey Smith Stanley, Earl of, 1799-1869.Graham, James, Sir, 1792-1861.Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1837-1901.Hardinge, Henry Hardinge, Viscount, 1785-1856.Lyndhurst, John Singleton Copley, Baron, 1772-1863.Peel, Robert, 1788-1850.Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, 1840-1901.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901.Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of, 1769-1852.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
YCBA Collections Search
Basebé, Charles Jones, approximately 1818-1880, The cabinet , [1841?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.