IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
La Rochefoucauld-Liancourt, François-Alexandre-Frédéric, duc de, 1747-1827, Travels through the United States of North America , 1799
Travels through the United States of North America : the country of the Iroquois, and Upper Canada, in the years 1795, 1796, and 1797; with an authentic account of Lower Canada / by the Duke De La Rochefoucault Liancourt.
- Additional Title(s):
Spine title, on publisher's printed label: Travels through the United States, the Iroquois, and Canada
Travels in North America by the Duke de La Rochefoucault Liancourt
Voyage dans les Etats Unis d'Amerique fait en 1795, 1796 et 1797. English.
- London : Printed for R. Phillips, No. 71, St. Paul's Church Yard : Sold by T. Hurst and J. Wallis, Paternoster-Row, and by Carpenter and Co. Old Bond Street. 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : maps, charts ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE164 .L36 1799+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- English translation, by Henry Neuman, of "Voyage dans les États-Unis d'Amérique fait en 1795, 1796 et 1797."
Description based on title page lacking specification of volume number and contents of the volume. The British Art Center copy includes this title page and volume title pages naming the volume number and the contents of that volume. The volume title pages also have addition to the imprint: "T. Davison, Lombard-Street, Fleet-Street."
"T. Gillet, printer, Salisbury-Square."--colophon, vol. 2, p. .
Maps engraved by Smith & Jones and Russell.
"Errata."--vol. 1, p. [xxiv].
With publisher's advertisements at the end of each volume.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 39057
English short title catalogue, T83506
Monaghan. Fr. travellers, no. 924.
BEIN Egf +795g: Ca71.4/13 ed. is just pp. 213-336 of v.1 of this ed. (about Canada).
SML,FRA 533 1799Lg: Vol. 2 only has map bound as front.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's cream quarter paper and original blue paper covered boards. First issue of volume 1 without the words "Volume 1" on title, and having two title-pages. Volume 2 having the extra stared pages 321-364. In blue cloth slip-cases. Bookplate: Spare Nought.
- Subject Terms:
- Atlantic States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Canada, Eastern -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Carpenter and Co. -- Bookseller.Slavery -- United States -- Early works to 1800.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1799.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- Vol. I. Containing the tour through the northern provinces Upper Canada, and the Carolinas, with the account of Lower Canada : and a general map
- vol. II. Containing the tour through Virginia, Pennsylvania, the Jerseys, and New-York, a general view of the commerce, politics, and manners of the United States; with two maps and four large tables, 1775-1800.
- Map of the United Stat es, Canada &c.
- Map of the Northern Provinces of the United States
- Map of the Southern Provinces of the United States.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.