Reliquiae Wottonianae, or, A collection of lives, letters, poems, with characters of sundry personages : and other incomparable pieces of language and art / by the curious pensil of the ever memorable Sr Henry Wotton Kt. ...
- London : Printed by Thomas Maxey, for R. Marriot, G. Bedel, and T. Garthwait, 1651.
- Physical Description:
- , 540 p.,  leaves of plates : ports. ; 15 cm (12mo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA391.1.W9 R4 1651Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Ih W914 C651 Copy 2: 16 cm.
"The life of Sir Henry Wotton" is by Izaak Walton.
With an engraved frontispiece portrati of the author (plate) signed: PLombart sculp.
"The difference and disparity between the estates and conditions of George, Duke of Buckingham, and Robert, Earl of Essex" is attributed in this edition to Sir Henry Wotton, but is actually by Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon. Cf. NUC pre-1956.
Title within a border of typographical ornaments. Head- and tail-pieces. Initials.
Pages 222, 246, 532-534 misnumbered 122, 146, 232, 333, 234; leaf O4 missigned O7; leaf b3 missigned b2.
Errata on p.  at front.
Wing (2nd ed.) W3648
Grolier. Wither to Prior (1905 ed.), III, p. 295
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later gilt-tooled red morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Buckingham, George Villiers, Duke of, 1592-1628.Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649.Essex, Robert Devereux, Earl of, 1565-1601.Great Britain -- Biography -- Early works to 1800.Wotton, Henry, Sir, 1568-1639.
- Engravings -- 1651.
- The life of Sir Henry Wotton / [I. Walton]
- Of Robert Devereux, earl of Essex, and George Villiers, duke of Buckingham : some observations by way of parallel ...
- The difference and disparity between the estates and conditions of George, duke of Buckingham, and Robert, earl of Essex ... [Edward Hyde, 1st earl of Clarendon]
- A view of the life and death of Geo. Villiers, duke of Buckingham. A panegyrick to King Charles ...
- A conceipt of some observations intended upon things most remarkable in the civil history of this kingdom ...
- The election of the new duke of Venice after the death of Giovanni Bembo
- The elements of architecture
- The great action between Pompey and Cæsar
- A meditation upon the XXIIth chapter of Genesis
- A meditation upon Christmas-day
- Letters, &c. and characters of sundry personages, found among the papers of Sir Henry Wotton