Gordon, Meryl, Bunny Mellon , 2017
Bunny Mellon : the life of an American style legend / Meryl Gordon.
- First Edition.
- New York : Grand Central Publishing, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 516 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryCT275.M469122 G67 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
Color illustrations on end papers.
Includes bibliographical references (pages -497) and index.
"A new biography of Bunny Mellon, the style icon and American aristocrat who designed the White House Rose Garden for her friend JFK and served as a living witness to 20th Century American history, operating in the high-level arenas of politics, diplomacy, art and fashion. Bunny Mellon, who died in 2014 at age 103, was press-shy during her lifetime. With the co-operation of Bunny Mellon's family, author Meryl Gordon received access to thousands of pages of her letters, diaries and appointment calendars and has interviewed more than 175 people to capture the spirit of this talented American original"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Political.BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Rich & Famous.Gardeners -- United States -- Biography.Gardeners.HISTORY / United States / 20th Century.Mellon, Paul, Mrs.Mellon, Paul, Mrs.Philanthropists -- United States -- Biography.Philanthropists.United States.Upper class women -- United States -- Biography.Upper class women.Women gardeners -- United States -- Biography.Women gardeners.Women philanthropists -- United States -- Biography.Women philanthropists.
- President Kennedy has a request
- Fifty summers later
- The auction of the decade
- Childhood treasures: a bottle and a book
- The making of a young gardener
- Tally-ho in Virginia
- The debutante dances through the Depression
- A courteous girl and a thorough gentleman
- Paul Mellon's rebellion
- The war years
- Millions of reasons to remarry
- The best-dressed list
- A constant gardener
- The best friends
- A rose by any other name
- November 22, 1963
- Carrying on
- Paul and Bunny in love--with others
- The spending of a robber baron fortune
- The book stops here
- Entertaining the royals (again)
- Exits and entrances
- Enduring the unendurable
- A perilous political affair
- The FBI makes house calls
- Everything should be noticed.