Humphrey, Carol, Sampled lives , 2017
Sampled lives : samplers from the Fitzwilliam Museum : accomplishment, identity, education & employment / Carol Humphrey.
- Cambridge : Fitzwilliam Museum, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 242 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNK8802.5.G7 C36 H68 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Saturday 6 May 2017 to Sunday 8 April 2018.
"Showcasing over 100 samplers from the Museum's excellent but often unseen collection, this display highlights the importance of samplers as documentary evidence of past lives. These beautifully embroidered and stitched samplers illuminate the lives of girls and women, from mid-17th century English Quakers to early 20th century school pupils, encompassing their education, employment, religion, family, societal status and needlework skills. The display also highlights the individuality of each sampler, which in some cases is the only surviving document to record the existence of an ordinary young woman"--Website.
- Subject Terms:
- Embroidery -- England -- History -- 17th century -- Catalogs.Fitzwilliam Museum -- Exhibitions.Needlework -- England -- History -- Catalogs.Textile fabrics in art -- Exhibitions.