A catalogue of the noble collection of pictures, from the grand cabinets of Cardinal Mazarine, and Prince Carignan Duke D'Valentinois : which will be sold by auction, by Mr. Prestage, at his Great Room in Savile-Row, on Tuesday the 26th of February 1765, and the two following days : the said collection may be publicly viewed on Saturday the 23d, to the time of sale, which will begin punctually each day, at 12 o'clock : catalogues price one shilling.
- [London] : [John Prestage], 
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 1 no. 9 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Several of the paintings are specified as coming from the collections of Cardinal Jules Mazarin (1602-1661) or Prince Carignan, but most are not. They should probably be considered previous owners and the actual seller or sellers are unknown. Carignan probably refers to Victor-Amédée, prince de Carignan, 1690-1741, who had posthumous sales in Paris in 1742 and 1743. The lots refers to 'Prince Carignan;' it is unclear why the additional title of 'Duke D'Valentinois' has been added to his name on the title page, but this is presumably an error."--Getty provenance index databases.
A variant (ESTC T230812) has pagination: 6,  pages.
Letterpress title page within an etched compartment; the etching was previously used in 1742 for the title page of 'A catalogue of Mr. Samuel Paris's collection of Italian, French and Flemish pictures ... Which will be sold by auction at Mr. Cock's ... '; some details are altered here.
English short title catalogue, T28763
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A702
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 1428
Date of sale: February 26-28, 1765
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink. Number 9 of 61 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Bronzes -- Catalogs.Carignan, Victor-Amédée, Prince de, -1741 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Mazarin, Jules, 1602-1661 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
Etchings -- 1765.
YCBA Collections Search
Prestage, John, -1767, A catalogue of the noble collection of pictures, from the grand cabinets of Cardinal Mazarine, and Prince Carignan Duke D'Valentinois : which will be sold by auction, by Mr. Prestage, at his Great Room in Savile-Row, on Tuesday the 26th of February 1765, and the two following days : the said collection may be publicly viewed on Saturday the 23d, to the time of sale, which will begin punctually each day, at 12 o'clock : catalogues price one shilling, 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.