Wedgwood : a story of creation & innovation / principal texts by Gaye Blake-Roberts, with contributions by Alice Rawsthorn, OBE ; edited by Ian Luna.
- Additional Title(s):
Wedgwood : a story of creation and innovation
- New York, NY : Rizzoli International Publications, Inc., [2017?]
- Physical Description:
- 295 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 32 cm
- Reference LibraryNK4335 .B63 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 295).
This is the definitive book on Wedgwood, the preeminent luxury china brand in the world and the essence of English design and craftsmanship. Founded in 1759, Wedgwood has a deep heritage in pottery making that represents timeless design and enduring style. The eponymous founder, Josiah Wedgwood, was an entrepreneur and visionary who quickly became Britain s most successful ceramics pioneer, elevating pottery from a cottage craft into a luxury good and an art form. He was the mastermind behind Wedgwood s most enduring pieces, including Queen s Ware, Black Basalt, and Jasperware. That tradition of master craftsmanship and innovation continues today as Wedgwood works with celebrated designers such as Vera Wang and Jasper Conran. With historic photographs, drawings, and watercolours from Wedgwood s extensive archive, which display the craftsmanship and technical innovation, this book is a visual celebration of English design. It offers a look at some of the most timeless china creations in history with a focus on Wedgwood s 100 icons, in-depth essays on the brand and its history, and pattern books and sketches from the Wedgwood archives.
- Subject Terms:
- Josiah Wedgwood & Sons.Wedgwood ware.Wedgwood, Josiah, 1730-1795.
- Introduction / by Alice Rawsthorn
- A story of creation and innovation / by Gaye Blake-Roberts
- A selection of archival images from Wedgwood pattern books and catalogues
- A selected portfolio of objects from the Wedgwood Museum and Archives
- Historical timeline
- A glossary of useful terms.