Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of the genuine and capital collection of pictures , 1792
- A catalogue of the genuine and capital collection of pictures : formed by a Gentleman during his residence abroad, and who is returning to the Continent : containing the works of the most celebrated Masters of the various Schools, in the highest Preservation : amongst which are, viz. : Raphael, Titian, Schidone, Guido, Guerchino, Tintorett, Schiavone, P. Veronese, J. Bellini, L. Da Vinci, Corregio, J. Romano, S. Rosa, Carrache, Spagnoletto, Rubens, V. Dyck, Claude, Swaneveldt, V. Huysum, Netscher, &c. &c.: particularly a capital picture by Raphael, of the Madona and Child and St. John -- Two by Titian -- Four by Schidone -- Eight by Guido -- Four by Guercino -- Three by Paul Veronese -- Four by Tintorett -- Three by Schiavone -- A noble Portrait of Cardinal Farnese by Caracci -- Four by Vandyck -- One by Rubens -- One by Claude -- Seven by Sal. Rosa -- A capital Flower Piece by John Van Huysum -- One of Fruit by William Van Aelst -- One of Birds by Young Weenix -- One by Netscher -- One by De Heem -- The Four Seasons by Artois -- A sublime Picture of the Descent From the Cross by Spagnoletto, &c. &c. : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie, at his Great Room, Pall Mall, on Saturday, March the 24th, 1792, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie] , 1792.
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 1, no. 51 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The consigner is identified as George Manley.--Getty provenance index databases
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-1892
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 4883
Date of sale: March 24, 1792.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in graphite with sale prices for all lots.. Number 51 of 61 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Manley, George, -1791.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.