1730-1803 Christie, Mr. (James), A catalogue of valuable curiosities of the late eminent John Hunter, Esq. deceased , 
- A catalogue of valuable curiosities of the late eminent John Hunter, Esq. deceased : comprising statues, bronzes, models of ships, a capital set of tapestry, mathematical instruments and a great variety of interesting articles : which will be sold by auction (by order of the executors) by Mr. Christie, at his Great Room in Pall Mall, on Friday, January the 31st, 1793, at twelve o'clock : N.B. his valuable library of books will be sold to-morrow, the 1st of February : to be viewed two days preceding the sale : catalogues may be had at the Rainbow, and in Pall-Mall.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 7,  pages ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 1 no.53 OversizeￌﾜYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Date of sale: January 31st, 1793.
Place of sale: London.
"The seller is John Hunter (1728-1793); his natural history collection eventually became the Hunterian Museum. According to Lugt, the books portion of the sale also included books from the seller Captain Cruikshanks."--Getty provenance index databases.
"Day 3 title: "A catalogue of the a series of valuable curiosities, of the late eminent John Hunter, Esq. deceased; comprising statues, bronzes, models of ships, a capital set of tapestry, mathematical instruments and a great variety of interesting .articles."--Getty provenance index databases.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A2017
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 5154
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink and graphite with sale prices and buyer's names for some lots. Number 53 of 61 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Antiquities -- Catalogs.Armor -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Art objects -- Catalogs.Bronzes -- Catalogs.Carving (Decorative arts) -- Catalogs.Clothing and dress -- Catalogs.Decorative arts -- Catalogs.Hunter, John, 1728-1793 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Mathematical instruments -- Catalogs.Musical instruments -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Sculpture, British -- Catalogs.Ship models -- Catalogs.Tapestry -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.