Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of a genuine, capital and valuable collection of pictures, the property of a Nobleman , 
- A catalogue of a genuine, capital and valuable collection of pictures, the property of a Nobleman : selected with great judgment, and removed from his house in Grosvenor Square : the collection comprises many chef d'oeuvres of the most great and admired masters of the Italian, French, Flemish, and Dutch schools : more particularly the following viz : Titian, Corregio, P. Veronese, C. Marratti, Velasquez, Dominichino, L. Carracci, Caravaggio, M. Angelo, Vandyke, Rubens, Barroccio, L. Jordaens, D. Fetti, Rembrandt, Poussin, Wouvermans, Ruysdael, Claude, Vernet, P. Potter, Cuyp, C. Du Jardin, Backhusen, &c. : the greatest part in fine preservation, and will merit the attention of the cognoscenti : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie, at his Great Rom in Pall Mall, on Friday, May 16th, 1794, and following day, at twelve o'clock : to be viewed two days preceding the sale : when catalogues may be had at the Rainbow Coffee House, Cornhill : and in Pall Mall.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 1 no. 6 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A2044
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 5209
Date of sale: May 16th-17th, 1794.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 60 of 61 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.