Hodgkin, Howard, 1932-2017, Howard Hodgkin , 2017
Howard Hodgkin : painting India / edited by Eleanor Clayton.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Lund Humphries ; Wakefield : in association with The Hepworth Wakefield, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 96 pages : color illustrations, map ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.H647 A12 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at The Hepworth Wakefield, July 1-October 8, 2017.
Includes two interviews with the artist and excerpts from his travel diaries.
Includes bibliographical references (page 95) and index.
For popular British artist Howard Hodgkin (1932-2017), India was a source of inspiration from his first visit to the country in 1964. Although Hodgkin's personal collection of Indian art has been featured in various publications, this will be the first to explore the influence of India on his own work. The first of Hodgkin's paintings inspired by India, "Indian Subject (Blue)", 1965-1969, was also the first of his paintings to be painted on wood, rather than canvas. It began a long exploration of paint surface and support that became a key characteristic of his practice. The book's illustrative journey begins with early works of the 1960s and includes paintings from throughout Hodgkin's career including some of his last work.
- Subject Terms:
- Hodgkin, Howard, 1932-2017 -- Exhibitions.Hodgkin, Howard, 1932-2017 -- Interviews.Hodgkin, Howard, 1932-2017.India -- In art -- Exhibitions.Painting -- England -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painting -- England -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- From Indian subject to Now : the evolution of a visual language through time spent 'somewhere else' / Eleanor Clayton
- Reverberating histories : Howard Hodgkin's Indian exchanges in context / Shanay Jhaveri
- An interview with Howard Hodgkin / Andrew Bonacina
- Indian journeys / Geeta Kapur
- 'In conversation' in India / Judy Marle
- India journals / edited by Hilary Floe.