Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of the collection of pictures, copied by a chemical and mechanical process by the Polygraphic Society, from original pictures of the following esteemed masters, viz. , 
- A catalogue of the collection of pictures, copied by a chemical and mechanical process by the Polygraphic Society, from original pictures of the following esteemed masters, viz. : Teniers, Vandevelde, Ruysdael, Van Oss, Claude, Vernet, Bourgeois, Serres, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Northcote, Opie, Wright, Stubbs, Angelica, Reinegall, Wilson, &c. : which on account of the death of Mr. Goddard, the late acting manager of the affairs of the Society, has determined the other parties interested therein totally to relinquish the concern : the above property will therefore be sold by auction (by order of the executors of Thomas Goddard, Esq.) by Mr. Christie, at the Polygraphic Rooms, Pall Mall.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 12 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 2 no. 7 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The proprietors of the pictures contained in the following catalogue, think it necessary respectfully to inform the public, that the present sale comprises the principal part of the remaining stock of copied pictures of the Polygraphic Society; and that by much the greatest part of them have been manufactured within the last two or three years, and the whole of them are absolutely and totally free from those imperfections which rendered the early productions of the Polygraphic Art liable to decay or become discoloured. The Polygraphic Society for more than four years past, have warranted their pictures to be as permanent in every respect as other pictures in oil colours; and purchasers in the present sale may rest perfectly assured, that their pictures will be rather meliorated than impaired by time."--Page 
"This is not a painting sale. This is a sale of "Polygraphic" pictures, which are mechanical reproductions."--Getty provenance index databases.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A2092
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 5297
Date of sale: April 23d-25th, 1795.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 7 of 52 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting -- Reproductions -- Catalogs.Polygraphic Society (London, England) -- Ar collections -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.