Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of a valuable and capital collection of pictures, late the property of the Earl of Bute, deceased , 
- A catalogue of a valuable and capital collection of pictures, late the property of the Earl of Bute, deceased : brought from his seat at High-Cliffe in the County of Hants, comprising the very best specimens of some of the most esteemed masters, and the first marine collection ever offered to public sale : the paintings by Rubens, Vandyck, Teniers, Berghem, Alb. Cuyp, Osade, W. Vandevelde, P. Panini, Storck, De Blieger, Weenix, Rich. Hoff, Wellart, Vetringa, Brooking, Vandercabel, Augustine Tassi, Com. Vandeveldt, Zeeman, Biersraten, Backhuysen, Canaletti, Marieski, Vangoyen, B. Peters, Monamy, Tellemans, Verschuring, &c. : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie at his Great Room in Pall Mall, on Saturday, March the 19th, 1796, at twelve o'clock : to be viewed two days preceding the sale, when catalogues may be had at one shilling each (to be returned to purchasers) in Pall Mall.
- [London] : [Mr. Christie], 
- Physical Description:
- 7,  pages ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 2 no.12 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- English short title catalogue, N26979
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A2149
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 5423
Place of auction: London.
Date of auction: March 19, 1796.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink with sale prices and buyer's names for all lots. Number 13 of 52 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections.Bute, John Stuart, Earl of, 1713-1792Bute, John Stuart, Earl of, 1713-1792 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.England -- Hampshire.London Institution -- Ownership.Marine painting -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Marine painting.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Painting, European -- Private collections -- England -- Hampshire -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Painting, European -- Private collections.Painting, European.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.