An authentic view of the Great Industrial Exhibition Palace of 1851, [1851?]
An authentic view of the Great Industrial Exhibition Palace of 1851.
- [Germany] : [G. & W.], [1851?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 peepshow : hand-colored lithographs ; 14 x 18 cm (closed), expanding to 46 cm (open)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT690.C1 A9 1851 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from lid of box.
Comprises five separate lithographs on different picture planes connected at the sides by paper folded accordion style; lithographs are hand-colored; peephole lens mounted on lid of box; last lithograph pasted into box bottom.
Illustration on the lid of the box shows an exterior view of the Crystal Palace drawn within a decorative border; the initials "G & W" appear within a floral wreath beneath a crown.
"It is an extremely crowded and claustrophobic scene; there is a curious abundance of elaborate chandeliers. The building and the scenes inside it are the products of somebody's fertile imagination."--Hyde.
Hyde, R. Paper peepshows, cat. 169, and page 47
- Subject Terms:
- Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition, 1851, London, England) -- Pictorial works.Exhibitions -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England) -- Pictorial works.Peep shows -- Specimens.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1851.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.