Four details from a suit of armour / Nicholas Phillips.
- [London?] : [Nicholas Phillips], 
- Physical Description:
- 5 prints in 1 box : collaged etchings printed on silver leaf ; box 15 x 53 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 27Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Nicholas PhillipsAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Set of 4 variously layered and collaged etchings printed on silver leaf. Mounted and cased in buckram box, etched title page to lid ... Edition of 45, however only 8 made. 1979."--Information provided by the artist.
Title from etched "title page" on underside of the lid (not printed on silver leaf). The title page illustration depicts the torso and head of a full suit of armor. The artist's name and numbering are written in graphite.
BAC: British Art Center copy is numbers 4 of 45 (only 8 were made). In original box.
"To construct the images were a fun way to extend the medium of print / etching-indeed etching plays an important part in the history of the decoration of armour. (The design used here is from a 16th cent. German breast plate in the Victoria & Albert Museum). I have always been fond of museums and would often find inspiration for works amongst things from the past.The titles for the 4 images were important."--Information provided by the artist.
- Subject Terms:
- Armor -- Decoration.Armor -- Germany -- Pictorial works.Soldiers.
- Collages (visual works)
Etchings -- 1979.
- Title of the four images, from title page: I. Eyes are deep
- II. Lips are still
- III. Belly is soft
- IV. Heart is beating.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.