[Tales from the floating world].
- Additional Title(s):
Tales of the floating world
- [London] : [Nicholas Phillips], 
- Physical Description:
- 9 prints : color aquatints ; each 25 x 25 cm, in box 26 x 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE642.P48 T3 1982+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Nicholas PhillipsAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Tales from the floating world. Portfolio of 5 images, color aquatints printed borderless over 9 sheets, 26 x 26 each. Slip case and silk end boards with letterpress titles & colophon ... Only copies up to XIX made. 1982."--Information provided by the artist.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. XVIII of XLV (only copies up to XIX were made), signed and numbered by the artist in graphite. In original slipcase.
"A sequence of images where the viewer floats away from the earth and its orbit to the far reaches of the universe. Starting with a view of the pyramids at Kareima (from drawings I'd done from high up on the Gebel Berkal), thence a low earth orbit view of cloud formations over the ocean, and so on passed the moon to be amongst the exploding galaxies. The images increase in size as we travel: from the single squares at the start to the doubles for space walk and moon to the final image where the view opens out across 3 side-by-side sheets. The colophon text, a quote from a 17th cent Buddhist priest [Tales of the floating world, by Asai Ryoi] says it all."--Information provided by the artist.
- Subject Terms:
- Earth (Planet) -- Pictorial works.Outer space -- Pictorial works.Pyramids -- Egypt -- Pictorial works.Ukiyoe.
- Aquatints -- 1982.
- I. The Pharaohs
- II. The Pacific
- III. Over Esperance [two prints]
- IV. La lune [two prints]
- V. The dolphin [three prints]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.