Sketchbook containing views of Boulogne and the south of England, including Folkestone, Dover, and Brighton, 1860s
Sketchbook containing views of Boulogne and the south of England, including Folkestone, Dover, and Brighton.
- England, 1860s.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (approximately 150 drawings) ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA667 .S54 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Most of the drawings are executed in pen and black ink, over graphite. Some of the less finished sketches are in graphite alone.
The original volume is probably of French manufacture. In contemporary navy cloth, with leaf pattern; rebacked.
The sketchbook, by an unidentified artist, includes views of English towns, rural villages, countryside and farms (often depicting cattle), river scenes, and numerous coastal views depicting sailing ships of all sizes. The artist provides captions for places depicted in sketches near the beginning and end of the volume, but the majority of drawings in the middle are un-captioned. The end of the volume includes four portraits of unidentified women, executed in black charcoal.
- Subject Terms:
- Boulogne-sur-Mer (France) -- Pictorial works.Brighton (England) -- Pictorial works.Dover (England) -- Pictorial works.Farnham (Surrey, England) -- Pictorial works.Fishing boats -- England -- Pictorial works.Folkestone (England) -- Pictorial works.Frensham (England) -- Pictorial works.Guildford (England) -- Pictorial works.Hampshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Kent (England) -- Pictorial works.Ships -- England -- Pictorial works.Ships in art.Surrey (England) -- Pictorial works.Sussex (England) -- Pictorial works.
Landscape drawings -- England.
Travel sketches -- England.
Landscape drawings -- France.
Travel sketches -- France.
Marine drawings -- England.
- Scenes identified include: Boulogne (about 20 sketches), including "the old chateau," the ramparts, the harbor, fishing boats, and Porte Gayole
- Folkestone (Kent), including the cliffs and the railroad bridge
- Dover (Kent), including views of the town, castle, cliffs, and harbor
- Brighton (Sussex), including the Royal Suspension Chain Pier
- Preston Village (Brighton)
- "A field near Odiham" (Hampshire)
- Frensham (Surrey), including St Mary the Virgin church and Frensham Little Pond
- Farnham (Surrey)
- Barford mill (Hampshire)
- Iffley (Oxfordshire), Dec. 29, 1864
- Ash Green (Warwickshire?), March 25, 1864
- St Thomas the Martyr's Church, Oxford
- Southsea (Hampshire), June 23, 1865
- Portsmouth (Hampshire), from the ramparts, June 24, 1865
- Liss (Hampshire)
- Guildford (Surrey), including "Mill Mead" and St Nicolas' Church, July 13, 1865.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.