Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828, The sketchbook of 1792-1799 , 2017
The sketchbook of 1792-1799 / Thomas Bewick ; edited with an introduction and commentary by Nigel Tattersfield.
- London : Jarndyce, 2017.
Uckfield, East Sussex : Pureprint Ltd.
- Physical Description:
- 173 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 19 x 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B47 A12 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BEIN NE1147.6 B47 S54 2017 Oversize: One of an edition of 200 copies. Autograph: Nigel Tattersfield.
Edition of 200 copies.
"Devised and typeset in Monotype Bulmer & Gresham Display by Iain Bain. Printed by Pureprint Ltd of Uckfield, East Sussex in an edition of 200 copies each signed by the author."--Colophon.
Bibliography: p. 165-167.
"The emergence of this original sketchbook is a significant event for all who appreciate the superlative qualities of the wood engraver, Thomas Bewick, 1753-1828. It is now reproduced in fine facsimile, with detailed explanatory text by Nigel Tattersfield, the leading authority on Bewick's life and work and superbly designed by Iain Bain, doyen of Bewick studies. Remarkably, it appears that this is the only formal sketchbook Bewick ever employed - he was accustomed to using scraps of paper in his daily work. This volume contains memoranda and jottings relating to his journeys and expenses, preparatory drawings for the History of British Birds, thumbnail sketches of subjects which caught Bewick's eye and, perhaps most importantly, detailed drawings of farmyard animals. These were taken at the behest of 'agricultural gentlemen' - a commission which gave Bewick endless trouble. Eventually, these were used for the fourth edition of the Quadrupeds (1800). There are, in all, over forty images. The commentary, augmented with a map and an additional forty illustrations, makes full use of Bewick's own memoir, his correspondence and his many surviving workbooks, shedding light on the background to this unique document."--Publisher's website (viewed 19 October 2017).
- Subject Terms:
- Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828 -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828.Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828.England.Great Britain.Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Illustration of books.Tattersfield, Nigel -- Autograph.Wood-engravers -- England.Wood-engravers.Wood-engraving, English -- 18th century.Wood-engraving, English -- 19th century.Wood-engraving, English.
- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.