Artists working from life, 2017
- Artists working from life.
- London : Royal Academy of Arts, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 159 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryN7625.5 .A78 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "First published on the occasion of the special exhibition project 'From life', Royal Academy of Arts, London ; 11 December 2017 - 11 March 2018."
Includes bibliographical references (page 158).
From Michelangelo's marbles to photographic self-portraits, artists have always been fascinated by their creative encounters with the human body. Often a key part of their early training, drawing and sculpting from life goes on to inform their later work in unexpected and inspiring ways. This illuminating publication brings together interviews with over 15 artists from all disciplines, including painters, sculptors and conceptual artists, working in a variety of different media. Through their in-depth conversations with the artists, writers explore the many ways artists work 'from life': from Jeremy Deller's open life class with Iggy Pop as model to Jonathan Yeo's innovative use of 3D scanners and virtual reality. An introductory essay provides the historical context for a practice deeply rooted in artistic tradition. Generously illustrated with reproductions of the artists' work and photography of their working methods, this book upends all our prior assumptions about 'working from life'.00Exhibition: Royal Academy of Arts, London, UK (09.12.2017-11.03.2018).
- Introduction (Rebecca Salter) -- Looking at life drawing: from the Renaissance to the Royal Academy (Annette Wickham) -- Ellen Altfest -- Cai Guo-Qiang -- Jeremy Deller -- Stephen Farthing -- Lucian Freud -- Antony Gormley -- David Hockney -- Chantal Joffe -- Michael Landy -- Liane Lang -- Farshid Moussavi -- Humphrey Ocean -- Eddie Peake -- Cathie Pilkington -- Bridget Riley -- Jenny Saville -- Yinka Shonibare -- Gillian Wearing -- Jonathan Yeo.
- Subject Terms:
- Human beings in art -- Exhibitions.Human figure in art -- Exhibitions.Portraits -- Exhibitions.