The comic history of England / by Gilbert Abbott A'Beckett ; with ten coloured etchings, and one hundred and twenty woodcuts by John Leech.
- London : Published at the Punch Office, 85, Fleet Street MDCCCXLVII-MDCCCXLIX [1847-1848]
London : Bradbury and Evans, printers, Whitefriars, [1847-1848]
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA33 .A2 1847 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA33 .A2 1847 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Originally issued in parts: July 1846-February, 1848.
With steel-engraved plates, and wood-engraved illustrations within the text.
Title pages are partially wood-engraved.
Cf. W.B.O. Field's John Leech on my shelves, 1930, p. 130-131.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 434
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. In original parts, (20 parts in 19). Bound in publisher's original blue paper wrappers as issued July, 1846-February, 1848. Contains publishers and trade advertisements. Cased with Abbey Life 435 : Comic history of Rome / Gilbert Abbott À Beckett. London : Punch Office, 1846.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped plum cloth. Cased with: Comic history of Rome / Gilbert Abbott À Beckett. London : Bradbury and Evans, 1852.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor.Great Britain -- History -- Anecdotes.Great Britain -- History -- Compendiums.Great Britain -- History -- Humor.Punch Office -- Publisher.
- Steel engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1847-1848.
Wood engravings -- 1847-1848.
YCBA Collections Search
À Beckett, Gilbert Abbott, 1811-1856, The comic history of England , MDCCCXLVII-MDCCCXLIX [1847-1848]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.