Christie, Mr. (James), 1730-1803, A catalogue of a select part of the capital, valuable, and genuine collection of pictures, the property of the Rt. Hon. Sir W. Hamilton, K.B. , 
- A catalogue of a select part of the capital, valuable, and genuine collection of pictures, the property of the Rt. Hon. Sir W. Hamilton, K.B. : purchased by him with great taste and at liberal expence, from several distinguished Cabinets in this country, and during thirty-seven years' residence as Minister Plenipotentiary at the Court of Naples : consisting of the works of the great and admired masters in the Italian, Spanish, French, Flemish and Dutch schools, viz. Leon. da Vinci, Parmigiano, Polidoro, Garofalo, Titian, Giogione, P. Veronese, Tintoretto, Schiavoni, Carracci, Schidoni, Guido, Cagnacci, L. Giordano, Velaquez, S. Rosa, Vernet, Rubens, V. Dyck, Jordaens, Teniers, Berghem, V. de Velde, Wouvermans : particularly a small portrait, an exquisite cabinet pictue, by Leon. da Vinci, formerly in the collection of the Earl of Arundel, and Lady E. Germaine : a Madona and Child, by Parmegiano : and St. Sebastian, a noble composition, by V. Dyck : also, a small, but most capital assemblage of antique bustos, bas-reliefs, and other valuable marbles, particularly a bust of Nero, in Porphyry : an exquisite bas-relief of Bacchus, and the Godess Meta : and an Egyptian Lion in Basalt : which will be sold by auction by Mr. Christie, at his Great Room, Pall Mall, on Friday, March 27th, 1801, and following day, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : Mr. Christie, 
[London] : J. Smeeton, 148, St. Martin's Lane,
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 3 no. 5 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-19
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 6222
Place of auction: London.
Date of auction: March 27th-March 28th, 1801.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 5 of 47 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Hamilton, William, Sir, 1730-1803Hamilton, William, Sir, 1730-1803 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Sculpture, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.