Combe, William, 1742-1823, The dance of life , 1817
- The dance of life : a poem / by the author of "Doctor Syntax" ; illustrated with coloured engravings by Thomas Rowlandson.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, Repository of Arts, 101, Strand, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- 4 unnumbered pages, ii, ii pages, 2 unnumbered pages, 285 pages, 1 unnumbered page, 25 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3359.C5 E54 1815+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3359.C5 D36 1817Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With an added engraved title page.
Originally published in 8 monthly parts in 1817.
Printed by J. Diggens, St. Ann's Lane, London.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 264
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 410
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 359, 405
BAC: British Art Center PR3359.C5 E54 1815+ is the Abbey copy, bound in orange blind-stamped publisher's binding. Bookplate: Rousdon, Devon. Bookseller's ticket on preliminary paste-down: T. Southeran. Bookseller, Stationer &c. 10, Little Tower Street. Cased and similiary bound with: The English dance of death : from the designs of Thomas Rowlandson, with metrical illustrations / by the author of "Doctor Syntax." London : R. Ackermann, 1815. V.I[-II]
BAC: British Art Center PR3359.C5 D36 1817 copy has bookplate of Alfred Nathan. Bound in gilt-stamped brown morocco, with interior dentelles. Original illustrated green paper wrapper of pt. v of the original 8 monthly parts bound in at end. Binder's stamp: Riviere & Son.
- Subject Terms:
- Fox, Francis Frederick -- Bookplate.Hirst, Walter -- Bookplate.Riviere & Son -- Bookbinder. (BACRB Copy 2)Rousoon, -- Bookplate. (BACRB Copy 1)Southeran, T. -- Bookseller. (BACRB Copy 1)Winter, J. -- Autograph.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.