Gray, Thomas, 1716-1771, Designs by Mr. R. Bentley, for six poems by Mr. T. Gray, MDCCLIII 
- Designs by Mr. R. Bentley, for six poems by Mr. T. Gray.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Drawings, &c.
- London : Printed for R. Dodsley, in Pall-Mall, MDCCLIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 35,  leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3500 .A1 1753+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Charles Grignion and John Miller; after R. Bentley.
According to Hazen, there were three distinct editions dated 1753, all with identical wording on the titlepage. This is the first edition, identified by the half-title: Drawings, &c.
The poems are printed and foliated on the recto only. The 'Explanation of the prints', by Horace Walpole,  p. at end, is printed on both the recto and verso.
Title vignette; initials.
Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of Horace Walpole, 42
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound in rebacked blue-gray boards. "Drawings, &c." on the half title page. On p. 28 the heading reads: Elegy / Written in a County Church Yard. Bookplate: Louis Silver.
- Ode on the spring -- Ode on the death of a favourite cat -- Ode on the distant prospect of Eton -- The Long story -- Hymn to adversity -- Elegy written in a country church-yard.
- Subject Terms:
- Dodsley, R. -- Publisher.English poetry -- Early works to 1800.English poetry -- Illustrations -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1753.Silver, Louis -- Bookplate.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.