Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, The works of Samuel Johnson, LL.D, 1825
The works of Samuel Johnson, LL.D.
- Additional Title(s):
Dr. Johnson's works
Works. 1825. Pickering
- Oxford : Printed for W. Pickering, London, and Talboys and Wheeler, Oxford, 1825.
- Physical Description:
- 11 v. : port. ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryFounder''s RoomAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BEIN 2001 584: 23 cm. Advertising matter: 3 p. bound in before port. in v. 3;  p. pasted on front paste-down endpaper in v. 4; p. -8, -4, -, -10 (dated Nov. 15, 1824), and -12 (dated February 1, 1825) bound in before half t.p. in v. 7;  p. pasted on front paste-down endpaper and  p. bound in before half t.p. in v. 9. Autograph in v. 10-11: William Black, junr.[?]. Bookseller's label: J. Seacome ... Chester. From the library of Herman W. Liebert.
BEIN 2002 567: Variant? printed on thinner paper. Bookplate: E.R. McC. Autograph pasted in: Joseph T. Torrence.
Edited by F. P. Walesby. cf. W. P. Courtney's Bibliography of Samuel Johnson.
Imprint varies irregularly throughout volumes. "Variant imprints are so differently distributed that no clear pattern emerges"--Fleeman, J.D. Johnson, 87.3W/22a.
On t.p. of v. 1-9: in nine volumes.
Note on cancels in vol. IX: "The binder is desired to insert the following cancels, given at the end of vol. IX."
Fleeman, J.D. Johnson, 87.3W/22a
Courtney, W.P. Johnson, 166-7
Index at end of v. 9.
- Subject Terms:
- Black, William, Jr. -- Autograph.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Provenance.Liebert, Herman W. -- Ownership.Torrence, Joseph T. -- Autograph.
- Booksellers' labels (Provenance) -- J. Seacome.
Cancellation (Publishing) -- England -- London -- 1825.
Cancellation (Publishing) -- England -- Oxford -- 1825.
- v. 1. Essay on the life and genius of Dr. Johnson [by Arthur Murphy] ; Poems, and tales
- v. 2-3. The Rambler
- v. 4. The adventurer and Idler
- v. 5. Miscellaneous pieces
- v. 6. Reviews, political tracts, and Lives of ominent persons
- v. 7-8. Lives of the poets
- v. 9. Journey to the Hebrides ; Tales of the imagination ; Prayers and sermons
- v. 10-11. Parliamentary debates.