Trafalgar : the new naval game.
- London : F.H. Ayres, [early 20th century]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (24 pieces, 1 game board, 1 box, 1 folded sheet of instructions) ; in box 12 x 15 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .T73 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "Rules. 1. The game is a contention between two opposing fleets, each consisting of one Admiral's Flag-ship, one Rear Admiral's Ship, and ten ships of the line; and is played upon a board as diagram I ... 8. The game is won either by one side sinking all but three of the enemy's ships, or surrounding the opposing Flag-ship, as in diagram II. This is called 'Victory.' ..."--Folded sheet of instructions.
Description based on Yale Center for British Art copy, which lacks a game board. The printed rules depict an irregularly shaped game board, with a grid of 10 x 12 squares (at maximum dimensions).
BAC: British Art Center copy also includes 29 small pawns (11 black, 11 green, 7 pink). There is no indication in the instructions that such pawns were part of the Trafalgar game.
- Subject Terms:
- Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Naval battles.Trafalgar, Battle of, 1805.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.